Monday, October 26, 2009

School Update


So I'm in my 1st semester of my second year. Things are really starting to move fast and I'm already getting prepared for my practicum interviews and internship application.

One subject that I'm becoming interesting in is the death and dying process. I've been reading some good books on the side about this subject in a more eastern philosophy. It's really such a different perspective on death and dying then in the western culture.

One book I really like is Being with Dying by Joan Halifax. She is a buddhist teacher and Zen Priest who has a lifetime experience with being with dying. Learn more about her here.

I also have this book on CD so I listen to it on my drives to and from school.

I also like the book: Who Dies? An investigation of conscious living and conscious dying. By Stephen and Ondrea Levine. This book looks at being conscious about the impermenence of life so we can live a more meaningful life right now.
I defiantly think having a job where being around people who are in the last stages of their life has influenced my interest in this subject.

In addition, a few weeks ago I sat with one of my residents as she passed away and sharing that experience was such a powerful moment for me. It reminded me of birth... this feeling of wonderment and honor for being given the opportunity to share that important moment with her.

I'm not sure where I will go with my training as a counselor, but I always like to find ways to use what I'm learning in the present moment.

0 comments: