Saturday, March 22, 2008

Kendyl's going to Graduate School

I interviewed on Tuesday this week it was not uncomfortable or formal, so it made for a smooth relaxing interview. Yesterday (Friday), I got the call that I was accepted! FEW.. what a ride this has been trying get myself prepared to get my Masters degree.

Around this time last year I was searching schools and came across Naropa University. Tay and I decide to fly to Colorado to check out the school. When we got home I started to get all the paperwork done. We ended up moving to Denver in August and I worked on my Statement of Interest for the next five months (which just to brag... the interviewers said they liked and it stood out from the rest). Finally I turned in all my stuff in Jan of 08. So all in all it's taken a year getting prepared to apply. Thankfully Taylor had enough faith in me to move to Colorado even before we knew if I was accepted! HAHA!

I start in Aug of 08 and will not graduate until 2011. The first 2 years are studying the last is an internship. Oh, some of you will probably want to know what I'm going to school for: Transpersonal Counseling Psychology (click on link to read more).

The university is definitely not a conventional one.. (that why I was attracted to it). The curriculum incorporates Eastern and Western philosophy so I feel I'm getting a singular experience compared to others studying psychology.

When I look back at myself when I was younger I never though I would ever complete undergrad school let alone go to get my masters. I can't really think of when I gain the confidence and self-esteem to pursue my academic dreams... maybe is a combinations of a lot of things. Defiantly when I first started college, Kira basically got me set up to go. Then when I started, I realized I really enjoyed learning all these new subjects and I had the dedication to study and understand the material. Taylor has always been a good support and I was able to work part-time to finish the last years of school and he worked full-time to pay the bills.
I expect the next few years will bring a lot of change. It will be a fun journey and I'm looking forward to all the ups (not so much the downs) of the next few years.

2 comments:

Sophia said...

I am so excited for you and I love how dedicated to achieving your goals. I also really like how onb the section where it says people I like, that I am the only one. I am glad you can get into grad school but can you get some more blogging friends? Hurray for Queen of the rats Kendyl!

Vikingboy said...

That's so cool. I've thought about getting my masters also but I doubt when I'm done with my BS degree that I'll ever want to take another class!