Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Eco Friendly Family






I've been thinking about what do to when the little pooping machine comes. I know I would like to avoid disposable diapers at all costs. So I've been looking for alternative diapers and I have found quite an assortment! One of the most intersting is the Gdiaper: http://www.gdiapers.com/happy-planet This is a 100% biodegradable diaper and you can also use it in your compost! Also you can buy little G pants in a variety of colors, which I think are very cute! I'm very happy about my eco friendy find and I think baby will be too.

Just to give you an idea of the impact of diapers have on the plant and children here are some tid bits:
-It takes about 500 years for a disposable diaper to decompose
-The manufacture of disposable diapers results in dioxins, solvents and heavy metals being released into the environment
-Disposable diapers are the third largest single consumer item in landfills, and represent about 4% of solid waste
-Disposable diapers contain traces of Dioxin, an extremely toxic by-product of the paper-bleaching process. It is a carcinogenic chemical, listed by the EPA as the most toxic of all cancer-linked chemicals. It is banned in most countries, but not the U.S
-Disposable diapers contain Tributyl-tin (TBT) - a toxic pollutant known to cause hormonal problems in humans and animals
Yes- life might not be as convenient with other types of diapers, but my child and plant are worth it!

1 comments:

Sophia said...

Love those cute colors!