Saturday, April 19, 2008

It's time to get real

Now that we are into our new house I'm thinking about what we need verus what we want.  It's hard because you get caught up in what you want to put in your house and things start to add up.  I have to keep reminding myself life is NOT about spending it's about living.  I just want to keep a realistic perspective... I don't need things to define who I am.  Now that we are getting tax returns and rebates, and rental deposit back I think about what I can spend it on.  But I know for the next few years I would like to save for my schooling  AND make sure we have a good savings. 

I love this quote from Fight Club "We work jobs we hate so we can buy shit we don't need." 
On a side note if you haven't watched the movie or read the book you need to. Many people have the impression that it is about guys beating each other up, but it's really a comment about consumerism and becoming conscious of yourself.

What I really would like to spend my extra money on is traveling... exploring the world!

SO... to simplify my life I have made a few goals for the next few months:
I have a Starbucks addiction!!- I will start making my own Soy Chai's at home and use my own recycled containers. 
I will NOT purchase as a form of entertainment- I will go outside work on my garden, walk the dogs or bike rides!
Garage sale- It's time to get the clutter out of our lives and not replace it with more. 
Compost- I've wanted to make a compost for a few years now... we tried one year but we didn't do it right... this year I'm trying again!
 
I'll report back to let you know how it's going. 


2 comments:

Sophia said...

You know I am right there with you, which is why you get to help me have a garage sale when you are here.

Carmen said...

And if you need a coffee don't buy from those crooks at Starbucks!! BTW, I need gardening tips. I'm terrified of working on my yard. I think it might end up looking like food does when I cook!