Saturday, November 28, 2009

Spirituality

I don't usually talk about spirituality with others. It's always felt like such a personal experience and trying to explain it to others seems to just marginalize my spirituality. All my life I felt there was a difference between practicing a doctrine and experiencing my spiritual side, sometimes these two would coincide and other times they would not. Of course at a young age I couldn't explain this, but now I understand what that feeling is for me.
Spirituality for me comes with the experience of being one and whole with everything. Situations where I feel separate, individualized and more special than others seem to diminish my spiritual experience. I think this is why being in the wilderness and outdoors brings such peace and happiness inside myself. This is where I feel most connected to everyone and everything. Also this would explain my career choice since it is all about relationship with others.

Anyway, what triggered this thought was as I was driving to work today Neil Young's song "When God Made Me" came on. I think the lyrics to his song really sums up how I feel about religion versus spirituality (except for the "he" part, ha!).

When God Made Me lyrics:
Was he thinkin' about my country
Or the color of my skin?
Was he thinkin' 'bout my religion
And the way I worshipped him?
Did he create just me in his image
Or every living thing?
When God made me
Was he planning only for believers
Or for those who just have faith?
Did he envision all the wars
That were fought in his name?
Did he say there was only one way
To be close to him?
When God made me
Did he give me the gift of love
To say who I could choose?
When God made me
Did he give me the gift of voice
So some could silence me?
Did he give me the gift of vision
Not knowing what I might see?
Did he give me the gift of compassion
To help my fellow man?
When God made me

2 comments:

Carmen said...

"Spirituality for me comes with the experience of being one and whole with everything. Situations where I feel separate, individualized and more special than others seem to diminish my spiritual experience."

This is very insightful. I've never thought of it that way. Thanks for sharing!

Ettore Grillo said...

Once I asked someone to give me and answer to this question: I would like to know if after we die, everything of us ends in the eternal nothingness or something survives to the death of the body.
His answer was like that: "I don't know, but even if I knew the right answer I would not tell you. This kind of answers you can find only inside yourself".
So I agree with you. Everyone has his own spirituality and it cannot be expressed by words on communicate. It is an internal affair.
The book I have recently written may help in this direction and I want to draw it to your attention, as you could be interested in it. The title is "Travels of the mind" and it is available at www.strategicpublishinggroup.com/title/TravelsOfTheMind.html
If you have any question I am most willing to discuss about this topic.
Ettore Grillo