Saturday, October 16, 2010

Bragger

Now you know I am not one to post about cooking cause really who the crap cares? Plus I suck at it, but I just had to brag about the soup I made just to say I cooked and you didn't (or at least that is what I like to tell myself.) Also I think my mom would be so proud...

Butternut Squash Soup




yyyyyyyyuuuuuuuuuuuummmmmmmm gooooooddd!

Even Elliott enjoyed it with some broccoli and cauliflower (glad he takes after his mom as a non-picky eater!

Just in case you want to try it or pretend you will try it:

6 cup(s) reduced-sodium non-chicken broth
3 pound(s) butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1-inch cubes
1 medium leek(s), cleaned and sliced (white and light green parts only)
1 medium parsnip(s), peeled and cut into 1⁄2-inch slices
1 medium apple(s), Granny Smith variety, peeled, cored, and chopped

1/4 cup(s) fat-free half-and-half

1 1/2 tsp curry powder

1/2 tsp table salt
2 Tbsp chives, fresh, chopped

Instructions

  • Bring the broth to a boil over medium-high heat in a large saucepan. Add the squash, leek, parsnip, and apple; return to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, partially covered, until the squash is soft enough to mash easily, about 25 minutes.

  • Remove the pan from the heat; let the mixture cool for a few minutes. Transfer the mixture in batches to a food processor or blender and puree. Return the soup to the pan. Stir in the half-and-half, curry powder, and salt; return to a simmer. Remove from the heat and stir in the chives. Yields 1 1/3 cups per serving.

1 comments:

Sophia said...

This is so funny because I just barely made this soup a week or so ago. Slightly different but pretty much the same thing. So good! Very proud of your achievement.